Gabriele Wolf PhD ND
Grain-Free Apple Crisp
This delicious Grain-free Apple Crisp is gluten-free, free of refined sugars, and makes the perfect healthy dessert and a pretty tasty breakfast option as well.
2 pounds apples
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ cup maple syrup
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp fine sea salt
1 ½ cups raw pecan pieces
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp maple syrup
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
2. To prepare the filling: Cut apples into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick, and place in a 3.5-quart Dutch oven. Add the lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and stir to coat the apples well.
3. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. (You will need to listen for the boiling, since the liquid won’t cover the apples.) Once the liquid is bubbling, cover the pot and lower the heat so the apples can simmer for 8 x 10 minutes, until they are fork-tender.
4. To prepare the topping: While the apples are cooking, place the pecans and shredded coconut in a small food processor and process until crumbly. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, salt and almond extract and process again to combine.
5. Sprinkle the toppings over the apples. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the starts to look dry, then remove from the oven.
Serve warm and Bon Apetit!
Source: No Excuses Detox